Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Blast from the Past: Sean Gill's SLEEPY-TIME TIME

In honor of its five year anniversary (I can't really quite remember, though it didn't screen anywhere until 2009), I present to you another one of my short films, this one the first in four installments of the SLEEPY-TIME TIME series.

It is described thusly:
"A young man's dreams are interrupted by a ghastly spectre."

Originally conceived in one manic night as an installment in a series of jokey, eerie public service announcements, SLEEPY-TIME TIME took on a life of its own and has, thus far, spawned three sequels. Based on director Sean Gill's personal experiences with sleep paralysis.


I hope you enjoy!

Sleepy-Time Time from Sean Gill on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The face of the ghoul was amazingly horrifying. Loved it. Also watched Laughter is the Music of The Gods and enjoyed it too. May I ask what inspired the PSA aspect of the films? Were they all inspired by sleep paralysis?

Sean Gill said...

Anon.,

Very glad you enjoyed! As to the PSA aspect, I had been making a lot of horror shorts around that time and thought that it'd be sort of funny to add a message at the end, as if these films were really bizarro, roundabout ways of delivering perplexing public service announcements.
Often I made the film first, and then tried to think of the most counterintuitive lesson that one could take away from it. I made about six or seven, and not all were based on sleep paralysis. Later, I decided that several of the films actually played better "straight" all the way through, and removed the accompanying messages, but I still stand by the ones that remain.